The difference between my French 322 class here compared to any French class that I've had at UT is that this class is much more intense. This is due to a combination of factors ranging from the shortened semester, the fact that we're in a foreign country, and that there is the goal at the end of the program to be better in French.
While at UT, I took the French classes to fulfill my major requirements. The French classes I'm taking here are merely to broaden and enrichen my French vocabulary and fluency. While these classes do not count for anything other than electives, I find myself taking my preparation for these classes more seriously. I am in a French classroom learning directly from a French professor, and I feel that I should make the most of this experience. While others have chosen to enjoy the nightlife and party scene here, I have found that my focus is getting us much possible out of these classes.
There are also differences between how the French class is taught here in Lyon and how French classes are taught in Austin. Here, you are expected to have prepared your homework and be able to have a spontaneous conversation about the topics that were covered in the work. I;ve found at UT that students are able to not do their homework and still do fine in the French classes. This is because students can avoid being called on or quickly think up an answer if they think they are going to be called on. Also, the questions asked from the students do not require detailed, long responses. Here, it is impossible to avoid speaking. I've been pretty adept at avoiding speaking French in my previous classes, but this French class requires you to be able to think of long, complicated answers.
I think more than concrete differences between the Lyon and UT classes, there are differences in attitudes and expectations. I have never had a UT French teacher lecture a class about the lack of preparation, but a couple of days ago, our French class was reprimanded for not adequately studying and prepping for that day's lecture. We all chose to come here and take these classes, so it should be expected that work harder and are more focused.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment