So a little more than a week ago, I moved into a new French home. This was due to a confusing mix of lies, deceit, and intrigue. Umm, actually it had to do with a vaccum cleaner, but anyways, I have started anew in a duplex apartment in the sky. Hmm, not really a duplex, but you get the gist. Anyways, I'm now living with just one French lady. We are still getting to know each other because we haven't eaten very many meals together yet because of conflicting obligations, dinners with friends, and confusion about locks. However, this Monday we did share dinner together and her boyfriend (I actually have no clue what his relation to her is. I'm just guessing here.) He asked a few questions about me, but we didn't really get into a deep conversation. The dinner moved along and then during the cheese course, my French host mother started talking about her vacation time. She and "the boyfriend" chatted back and forth, until they realized that she was taking vacationone week later than he was. Then, a dialogue started about how she had told him when she was taking her vacation, and he claimed that he didn't know. At some point during this, "the boyfriend" says, "If we talk fast enough Katie won't know what we're talking about." Umm, dude? I totally can understand everything you're talking about. It was during this conversation that I felt that I was grasping the French language. I didn't have any problem understanding what they were talking about. This was one of the small moments where I felt confident about my French language aquisition.
While I'm still not very outgoing with my French skills and don't like to initiate conversation, this conversation helped me realize that my comprehension has definitely increased this summer. In the past, I absolutely dreaded any listening sections on French test, but now I know that I can figure it all out. Just don't ask me to figure out the dialogue from the Ocean's Thirteen movie. That was way above my head. Although, I do have a problem understanding the plots of those movies in English.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I still can't believe you watched "Ocean's Thirteen". In two languages. Twice.
Didn't Ocean's Twielve teach you anything?
Miss you muchly.
Post a Comment