Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Communicative Ability

I was able to get through a whole French speaking class without actually speaking much French, so I sort of have to force myself to actually converse in French. I've noticed that I can understand what people are saying, but I can't think of anything to say back to them. I just need to get over my shyness which inhibits me even when I'm speaking in English too.

We are still speaking a lot of English in my French family, but we are speaking more French than we did the first few days. I've tried lately to talk to the kids more. The five year old just thinks I'm funny and sometimes has a hard time understanding what I'm trying to say. If worse comes to worse, we could just talk about Vin Diesal and Paul Walker in The Fast and The Furious.

I don't feel like I know less French than the other students, but I do feel like I am definitely less confident in speaking French. Some people just start speaking and are fine with stumbling and trying to find their words. I like to know what I'm going to say before I say it. At least I know that I have a good grammar background because I just finished FR320.

2 comments:

tinkler said...

shouldn't you be writing your blog in french?!?!


on the 25th floor of the building in which i work there is a french accounting firm. as a result, i am frequently in the elevators with french people. i can usually catch one or two words of what they say to each other. but one of these days, i'll get the nerve to ask them to slow down so i can eavesdrop a little easier.

mckatie said...

Thankfully, this blog doesn't have to be in French. I'm having a hard time talking to a French pre-schooler, so it would be pretty near impossible to write this in French. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't be in the fluency class?