Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Where is the culture?

I think that it is useless to learn a language without also studying the culture associated with that language. What good is it to have a solid, grammatical background but have no idea how to function within a society? Language is developed within a society. It is not an isolated organism that functions outside of the realm of the real world. Language is a reflection of culture, history, and beliefs.

It is necessary for professors and teachers to provide cultural information. I don't understand how it would be useful to know how to speak a language but then be unable to use that language within a society. One would be able to use the language in the most basic form, but they would miss the nuances that come from the micture between culture and language. For example: when it is approproate to use tu and vous when the situation isn't clear or when is it more appropriate to use slang instead of formal speech. This information does not come from just studying a book, but from learning the history of a place or the beliefs of the people. It is useful to know that the history of the French monarchy and hierarchical system still plays an integral part of French social roles. The American culture is not the same as the French culture, and these differences are expressed in how people interact, form relationships, and even speak with one another.

While on this trip is has been vital to know not just the French language but the French culture. Because I have learned about the culture, I know how to appropriately react to situations and respond accordingly. The more I learn about the French culture and history, the more proficient my French speaking is.

1 comment:

Carl said...

I agree completely with your comments. But you have the advantage of LIVING the language. How do we get our students back home in Texas to see the link? Is it possible to teach culture in the classroom?